[ANSOL-geral] Alguém conhece um formato para ficheiros de vídeo que seja livre ?

Rui Miguel Seabra rms 1407.org
Quinta-Feira, 22 de Julho de 2004 - 12:59:13 WEST

On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 11:52 +0100, Carlos Patrão wrote:
> Para música existem vários, mas para vídeo não me ocorre nenhum. Alguém
> conhece algum ?

Ogg/Theora

Suportado por Helix Player (e subsequentes Real Players), mplayer, e
outros livres.

Existe também uma coisa chamada fluendo que ou já ou está quase a ser
libertado das suas correntes:

http://fluendo.com/press/releases/PR-2004-01.html

Fluendo, GStreamer-based streaming media company, launched
Fluendo funds Xiph.org Foundation for Theora development
April 20, 2004 - Barcelona, Spain

This press release marks the official launch of Fluendo, a company
dedicated to creating streaming media services using free software
technology.

Fluendo intends to develop a free software streaming media server that
can provide an all-in-one solution to serve both live and pre-recorded
media content to any existing platform.

“While there are commercially backed streaming servers available for
other platforms than Linux, these servers are proprietary, limited in
features, and costly to buy, license, or keep running. A lot of internet
companies already have a complete Linux-based rollout and would love to
replace their last non-Linux systems if the software is availableâ€, CEO
Julien Moutte says.

The streaming server will make it possible to do streaming using only
freely available and royalty-free codecs. Proprietary formats will also
be supported in the end product and available under the licenses the
patent holders specify. Fluendo will also offer support and custom
development contracts to content providers.

Fluendo is building their services on top of the quickly maturing
GStreamer streaming media framework. It will assist the GStreamer
community in further stabilizing and developing the framework.

Funding the Xiph.org Foundation
One of the missing components in enabling free software media streaming
is a competitive open and royalty-free video codec to complement the
already existing Vorbis free audio codec from the Xiph.org Foundation.

This is why Fluendo has funded the Xiph.org Foundation to complete the
Ogg/Theora bitstream specification. This is one of the remaining steps
before Theora 1.0 is released. Once the bitstream specification has been
completed the format will be frozen for the 1.0 release and all future
versions of Theora will maintain compatibility with the 1.0 format,
opening the door to widespread use of the codec for media distribution.

“Any company that bases their core product on commodity technologies
obviously does well to choose a completely open, royalty-free
technology. Technology that's open allows businesses to concentrate on
delivering what clients and consumers want,†says Chris Montgomery of
the Xiph.org Foundation. “We are heartened to see Fluendo supporting the
open standards they use and expect Fluendo to flourish in the years to
come.†

The Xiph.org Foundation is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to
providing tools for a free, open, and level playing field for digital
media.

For more information
For announcements from Fluendo, subscribe to our mailing list at
http://lists.fluendo.com/mailman/listinfo/fluendo-announce/.

For more information on Fluendo, mail <info  fluendo.com>.

For more information on GStreamer: http://gstreamer.net/

For more information on the Xiph.org Foundation: http://www.xiph.org/

--
+ So let's do it...?