[ANSOL-geral] Europe needs more successful data mining startups

André Esteves aife netvisao.pt
Segunda-Feira, 3 de Abril de 2017 - 17:24:51 WEST

E como é que se faz dinheiro a fazer data-mining??

http://www.euractiv.com/section/digital/opinion/europe-needs-more-successful-data-mining-startups/

The European Commission’s proposed reform on copyright is preventing
young companies from using text and data mining technology with full
legal certainty, warns Michal Sadowski and Michał Brzezicki.

Michal Sadowski is founder and CEO of Brand24 and was awarded “Best
Co-Founder” prize in the Next Web Startup Awards 2013. Michał Brzezicki
is co-founder and vice-president of SentiOne.

We live in the age of the digital economy. Data is everywhere, and being
produced by everything – devices, services, businesses, users. With data
analytics becoming more valuable than ever, it has also become essential
to ensure that everything can function smoothly: from local businesses,
to universities, non-profits, and governments.

The Commission’s proposal on copyright reform could lead to a mass
exodus of young, innovative businesses moving outside of the EU.
Thousands of the most innovative companies in Europe will either
relocate or face extinction. It will become much more difficult for the
EU to produce future Skypes, Spotifys or Pipedrives, and be competitive,
particularly vis-a-vis Silicon Valley companies.

We started our companies in Poland and we are proud to still be working
from there alongside talented European teams. Despite all the benefits
the Silicon Valley can offer us, we still prefer to run our business
from Europe.

We leverage a huge talent pool based in this region. We promote a
culture of openness and cooperation EU startups need so desperately to
compete against well-funded Silicon Valley based companies.

Needless to say, it would be a drastic, unwanted and a last resort
measure to move our business outside of the EU.

Moreover, it is not only startups that will suffer. The Commission’s
proposed legislation can indirectly hit many other entities that
leverage data mining to benefit public interest.

In the past five years, we have collaborated with many universities,
non-profits, charities, etc. and we worked really hard to encourage
companies from the US, Canada, Australia, Venezuela, Mexico, China, the
United Arab Emirates and many others to have trust in European technology.

What we find even more difficult to understand is why the EU would
jeopardise its efforts to support innovative businesses, particularly as
it spends a significant amount of money in grants and subsidies helping
the startup environment grow: many tech startups in Poland have
benefited from EU funding as part of the Innovative Economy Operational
Programme (supported by the European Regional Development Fund and the
Polish government).

This programme helped us develop data extraction and analysis of text
data on websites, or finance our first business trips to the US where we
met our first customers. With this Directive, the Commission is pulling
the brakes on our business after it helped us accelerate.

We all need to inspire young companies to go global. We need to show
them that relocation to Silicon Valley is not the only possible move if
you want to build a meaningful business. We all need laws that will
empower them to be part of a brave new World of Data.

To be able to go global while working from France, Poland, Germany,
Romania or the Czech Republic. We need laws that empower progress.
Progress that is impossible to achieve if we cannot seize the
opportunities that data mining technologies can offer us.