[ANSOL-geral]Paper: "Rent Seeking and Innovation"

Rui Miguel Seabra rms arroba 1407.org
Thu Apr 17 16:31:02 2003

--=-GSLnTy9qApjA/QGmqVWH

RENT-SEEKING AND INNOVATION
MICHELE BOLDRIN AND DAVID K. LEVINE
UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA AND UCLA

http://levine.sscnet.ucla.edu/papers/cr35.pdf

End of conclusion:

It is clear, as we argue in this context, that allowing the
government to grant monopolies is extremely dangerous
- and we should require clear and compelling evidence
before doing so. Since theoretical argument is insufcient
to settle the point, since empirical evidence is almost
non-existent, and since anecdotal evidence strongly
suggests that intellectual property reduces rather than
encourages innovation, there should be a strong
presumption against patents and copyrights. It is our view
that they should be abolished pending strong and
persuasive evidence that they actually do some good.

--=20
+ So let's do it...?

--=-GSLnTy9qApjA/QGmqVWH

--=-GSLnTy9qApjA/QGmqVWH--