[ANSOL-geral][recortes] An Informal Study Of K12 Classroom Software Costs

Lopo de Almeida lopo.almeida arroba sitaar.com
Thu Nov 21 15:11:01 2002

An Informal Study Of K12 Classroom Software Costs
in SlashDot

    [0]PGillingwater writes "Rob Lineweaver has written a concise
    [1]summary of how much it would cost (and the savings that can be
    achieved) to set up the (almost) complete infrastructure in the
    Harrisonburg City Public Schools. He estimates that using commercial
    packages instead of open source would have cost the K12 schools an
    extra $27,000 in software license costs. More interestingly, he states
    that this is not only about cost. He says: 'This makes it apparent that
    not all of the benefit of open source software deployment in is the
    form of cost savings; much of the benefit is in terms of capabilities
    gained. In other words, through the use of free software, I am able to
    do more within my budget than I could if I only had commercial
    solutions available.'"
Links
    0. mailto:paul arroba lanifex.com
    1. http://staff.harrisonburg.k12.va.us/~rlineweaver/

Retailers Swing DMCA To Stop "Black Friday" Sale Info

    [0]zoid.com writes "It looks like a few of the big retailers have sent
    out [1]DMCA notices to a few of the consumer deal sites. So now they
    are claiming that sale prices are covered under the DMCA. I would like
    to know what part of the DMCA states that you can not share the price
    of merchandise. Also, why would they want to stop this free
    advertising?"
Links
    0. http://choward2zoid.com
    1.