[ANSOL-geral] Cripto e VW? O que têm em comum?

André Isidoro Fernandes Esteves aife netvisao.pt
Sábado, 31 de Outubro de 2015 - 18:47:48 WET

A opinião de Nadim Kobeissi

https://opendemocracy.net/wfd/nadim-kobeissi/volkswagens-lesson-on-encryption-software?utm_content=bufferc13bb&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

https://nadim.computer/2015/09/25/volkswagen-backdoor.html

-----------

The story of Volkswagen rigging cars with custom software to fool
regulators testing for harmful emissions has been all over the news, and
with good reason. Quoting Jim Dwyer from the New York Times:

The cars’ software turned on the pollution-control equipment only during
inspections […] The software could silently deduce that an inspection
was taking place based on the position of the steering wheel (cars
hooked up to emissions meters don’t make turns) […] When the test was
done and the car was on the road, the pollution controls shut off
automatically, apparently giving the car more pep, better fuel mileage
or both, but letting it spew up to 35 times the legal limit of nitrogen
oxide.

This is huge. Volkswagen is the world’s second-largest car manufacturer.
Their admission to rigging accusations didn’t come easy — it followed
months of denial after finally coinciding with the resignation of
Volkswagen’s CEO. Let me repeat this: the world’s second-largest car
manufacturer used custom software in order to effectively give their
cars A.I. that can trick regulators into allowing cars that emit
thirty-five times the limit of nitrogen oxide.

This story is like some sort of weird reversal of another debate we’re
having involving software and regulators; that of encryption backdoors,
smartphone security, messaging security and so on. In the smartphone
encryption scenario, we’ve seen regulators asking the industry for
backdoors as a matter of regulatory necessity, while in the Volkswagen
case regulators were accusing the industry of exploiting the same
backdoor logic to fool regulations!

The role-reversal that’s going on, with regulators suddenly being on the
receiving end of hidden backdoors and in turn being deceived by their
supposed guarantees, is additional, easy and stark proof that shipping
any system that’s closed against inspection, or that implements special
access controls, just doesn’t work when you’re trying to use it to reach
sophisticated guarantees[1]. From cars that emit thirty-five times the
amount of poison gas they’re supposed to, to elevators that unexpectedly
drop three stories due to a programming error, to smartphone encryption
that equips law enforcement with a master decryption key — modern
industry keeps proving time and time again that such designs go against
fundamental laws of engineering that one simply cannot circumvent in
good practice.

A Volkswagen backdoor in a messaging client
Let’s recap how Volkswagen’s backdoor worked so that we can see how that
exact same logic could be easily transposed into backdooring a
supposedly secure mail application[2]. Volkswagen cars came with
software that can figure out when the car was being tested for polluting
emissions. The software figured this out based on the car’s steering
activity, engine running time and barometric pressure, among other factors.

Volkswagen programmed the cars so that they would enable their
anti-pollution controls only when the car realized it was being tested
for pollution emissions. Otherwise, the car would disable these controls
so that it can achieve better performance and make the driver happier
with their purchase.
Volkswagen made sure that this special software is well-hidden and that
regulators can’t inspect it, making this backdoor difficult to detect.
Sound familiar yet? Here’s that exact same logic transposed into a
hypothetical backdoor for encrypted communications on your smartphone:

Your smartphone comes with a messaging client that can figure out, based
on a list of suspicious phone numbers that it secretly regularly
fetches, whether you are communicating with a suspicious third party.
Your smartphone is also able to detect when a forensics expert is
running tests on it.[3]
Your smartphone is then programmed to enable your encryption and privacy
settings only when you’re messaging someone who’s not on that list of
suspicious numbers. Otherwise, message encryption is disabled. If the
software detects that a researcher is testing your smartphone for
encryption compliance, it still encrypts your messages but generates
your new key material using a malicious random number generator in order
to insert a surreptitious backdoor anyway.
Your smartphone manufacturer makes sure that this special software is
well-hidden and that researchers can’t inspect it, making this backdoor
difficult to detect.
The parallels are very real; what makes them real is not only that they
sound and work the same, it’s that both of them actually happened. The
backdoored random number generator in my example isn’t fiction, but is
drawn word for word from a recent NIST-approved cryptographic standard.
Meanwhile, almost all of China’s most popular messaging applications
will trigger censorship and surveillance automatically if you send
messages containing certain keywords.

The reason why it’s critical to build software so that it can always be
inspected, especially software running things we bet our lives on like
our cars and sometimes our phones, is because otherwise, this simple
snippet of code is all it could take to break any and all guarantees, if
you could never examine it:

if (isInBlacklist(phoneNumber) || forensicsDetected()) {
                     const ephPrivKey = DUAL_EC(32)
}
else {
                     const ephPrivKey = DevUrandom(32)
}
const ephPubKey = DH25519(g, ephPrivKey)
sendEncryptedMessage([msg, ephPrivKey, ephPubKey], phoneNumber)
That piece of code is fully realistically possible; if I was confident
you couldn’t inspect my software’s code, it’s all I would need to insert
into a messaging application. If I obfuscated it just a little bit
before inserting it, I’m willing to bet it would avoid detection for a
fairly long time. We already have research proving that we can use
compound Poisson distributions to estimate how long it will take before
a software will show bugs; why not use statistics to reliably estimate
how long before a backdoor, disguised as a bug, will pop out?

I feel like it’s pointless to buttress this post with examples.[4]
TSA-compliant luggage padlocks, which are supposed to keep your luggage
safe from strangers but accessible to airport security regulators,
recently had their blueprints leaked allowing anyone with a 3D printer
to print master keys and unlock everyone’s luggage. A recent publication
showed that for three years, a Korean government-mandated smartphone
monitoring application was shown by Collin Anderson et al to be
vulnerable to mass compromise. The application, intended for parental
monitoring, ended up leaking children’s personal information to everyone
in their wireless vicinity. This is seriously getting old.

Volkswagen’s emissions fraud was only possible because they had a way to
ship safety-critical software that was impervious to inspection.
Regulators were the ones on the receiving end this time, and they felt
the sting. It doesn’t make sense, in light of such a universal set of
examples, to still think that opposing backdoors is unreasonable or
paranoid. National security can be your top priority, sure — but you
can’t insist on obtaining it using methods that just aren’t working for
any single industry.

[1]  Especially when those guarantees are meant for a general public.

[2] This same backdoor logic is already on the table in some law
enforcement circles.

[3] If you think detecting a forensics expert is hard, look into machine
learning.

[4] I could write a random backdoor-gone-wrong generator and it would
generate examples that actually happened probably half of the time.

This article was orginally published on the author's blog on 25
September 2015. Thanks go to the author for allowing us to republish it
here.