[ANSOL-geral]Friends don't let friends use Outlook -recortes-

Ricardo Jorge Godinho Nunes rjgn arroba netc.pt
Wed Jun 25 21:44:01 2003

"Title		Friends don't let friends use Outlook
Date		2003.06.23 11:51
Author		roblimo
Topic		Open Source
http://newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=03/06/16/1552233

- - By Robin 'Roblimo' Miller -
I'm sure Outlook and Outlook Express have many fine features, but they also
have many fine vulnerabilities. Even though I run Linux and can't get
infected by the many email worms and viruses sent to me every day by unwary
Outlook users, they suck up a lot of bandwidth, which is especially
annoying when I'm using a phone modem in a hotel room instead of my
home/office DSL connection. So please, let's get together and try to stamp
out Outlook.

Mozilla has a fine email utility, you know. And Mozilla is available for
Windows, so even if we can't get our Windows-using friends to switch to
Linux, we should at least try to get them to use Mozilla for their email.
(They'll get a better browser, too.)

You'd think it would be easy to 'sell' something free to people, but never
underestimate the power of inertia.

"If Outlook Express was good enough for grandpa, then dagburnit, it ought
to be good enough for me," is an all-too-human sentiment.

Luckily, Mozilla gives us plenty of ammunition that can help break through
this attitude-wall. Here are some of the features it offers:

    * Won't download or pass on most viruses or worms
    * Amazingly easy, 'click on the button' junk email filtering
    * Built-in popup ad blocker
    * Can handle multiple email accounts, no problem
    * Won't download or pass on most viruses or worms
    * Lets you turn off annoying animated GIF ads (or set them to only
cycle once, if you like)
    * You know those sites that take over your whole screen? Mozilla can
stop them from doing that!
    * Won't download or pass on most viruses or worms

You can buy utilities that accomplish most of these functions if you use
Microsoft Internet Explorer and Outlook or Outlook Express.

Or you can move to Mozilla and get them for free, especially if you're a
home or small business computer user who isn't locked into a
corporate-mandated Microsoft Exchange server -- although there are plenty
of browser-accesible email/groupware products that can provide Exchange's
essential functions, almost always for less money and with lighter server
hardware requirements.

But we're not talking about ourselves here, are we? We already know about
(and use) Mozilla and other alternatives to Outlook and Outlook Express,
don't we?

Our task is not to convert ourselves, but to convert friends who are still
stuck with Outlook because they don't know any better, not only to give
them a more pleasant Internet experience, but to help cut down the spread
of email viruses and worms that waste bandwidth for everyone, even
enlightened Linux and F/OSS users like us.

Download Mozilla here.
http://www.mozilla.org"

Ricardo Jorge
- --
GNU/Linux Registered User #190585
Key fingerprint = 478B C11B 3802 D151 CDB1  309E 69BF 6F02 352C 9ED3
http://pgp.mit.edu/
- - ----
http://fs-oss.cjb.net
- - ----
"Some things -and an operating system is one of them- are just too fundamental
 to be locked up in a box.
 It's basic infrastructure and basic infrastructure must be shared technology"

Daniel Frye
IBM's Linux Technology Center
- ----
Please DON'T send me m$-WORD, m$-EXCEL or m$-POWERPOINT attachments.
- - ----
let's wake up the ECHELON....
"Kill the President" , "nuclear", "assassinate" , "Roswell", "UFO" , "enigma"
, "saucer" , "grudge" , "the farm" , "snowbird" , "dreamland"