[ANSOL-geral] Desktop a $99

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra rms 1407.org
Segunda-Feira, 25 de Junho de 2007 - 21:03:16 WEST

On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 12:31:51PM +0100, João Miguel Neves wrote:
> Bom dia,
>
> Baseado na mesma arquitectura do OLPC. Com apenas 10GB de disco, um CPU
> Geode e 128MB de RAM:
>
> http://store.dataevolution.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=DT%2D7001
>
> Instalação de Ubuntu: http://jsco.org/dectop/
>
> Precisa de todos os periféricos habituais. Specs:
>
>         Memory: 128MB SDRAM / 10GB HDD
>         Power: AC adapter
>         Connectivity: V.92 modem / Ethernet
>         Input Devices: Mouse / Keyboard
>         Ports: 4 USB / VGA Video Out (up 1600x1200)
>         Audio: Microphone In (audio in) / Headphone Out (audio out)
>         Dimensions: 5.5x 8.5 x 2.5 inches
>         Weight: 3 lbs
>
> Estou tentado a comprar um. Alguém se quer juntar para partilhar custos
> de transporte?

Tb estou interessado, mas neste momento alguém me matava por gastar
quase 100€ nisso. Agora... 128MB??? irk...

Contudo tem algumas vantagens...

Reviewer: jon
Linux does install. I have Xubuntu running on mine. See
http://jsco.org/dectop/ for details.

Pros:
* one of the cheapest x86 boxes out there
* easily expanded with cheap parts (3.5" IDE drive, 200-pin SODIMM DDR
* RAM)
* single 12VDC power supply and low power requirements make for a
* flexible platform
* fanless; the only noise is the HDD

Cons:
* still kind of slow (366 MHz processor)
* included hard disk appears to have a locked boot sector
* appears to be no BIOS access
* USB 1.1 makes it a poor choice for a NAS device

Basically, it looks like this computer fits the niche it was designed
for: a cheap, simple internet access point. With Xubuntu, Firefox, and
OpenOffice, it gets the job done. Don't expect much more than that and
you won't be disappointed.

--
Fnord.
Today is Sweetmorn, the 30th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3173
+ So let's do it...?