[ANSOL-geral] Fwd: Re: Small GPL clarification to check for violation

Frederico S. Muņoz fsmunoz arroba ansol.org
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 22:37:46 +0000

--mP3DRpeJDSE+ciuQ

A resposta que recebi referente ? quest?o do ircd da PTNet; n?o sei
at? que ponto a situa??o que descrevi ? totalmente correcta mas foi a
impress?o que me ficou depois de ler a lista; na pior das hip?teses
ficamos com uma d?vida esclarecida para futuros casos semelhantes.

Mal receba a resposta definitiva envio.

fsm

----- Forwarded message from GNU General Contact Address <gnu arroba gnu.org> -----

From: GNU General Contact Address <gnu arroba gnu.org>
To: Frederico S. Mu?oz <fsmunoz arroba ansol.org>
Subject: Re: Small GPL clarification to check for violation

I have forwarded your message to our licensing department
<licensing arroba gnu.org> who handle such queries.  Feel free to contact them
directly in the future with such questions.  Let me know if you don't get
a satisfactory reply from them.

In the meantime, if you haven't read the GPL FAQ
(http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl-faq.html) you may find that helpful.

On Sat, Nov 03, 2001 at 03:59:05AM +0000, Frederico S. Mu?oz wrote:
> Hello there,
>=20
>=20
> First and foremost I will take the opportunity to send my heartfelt
> greetings for all the people involved in the FSF and the GNU Project;
> your existance is a lighthouse to all the free software supporters in
> the world.
>=20
> I'm sorry to bother you, especially with a GPL question (that probably
> is already answered somewhere), but I really have a doubt about a
> specific situation that has come to my knowledge.
>=20
> The thing is, in the ANSOL mailing list (ANSOL is the recently borned
> Free Software Association meant to be an associate organization of the
> FSF Europe) there was talk about making an IRC channel. There are at
> least 2 major IRC networks here (and apparently it was prefered that
> the network was portuguese and not, say, OpenProjects for example).
>=20
> Us being free software advoctes we couldn't make an error in the
> choice of the network... some members obtained information about the
> ircd used by such networks.
>=20
> One of them was GPL with full source available, no problem
> there... but the other one... well, the ircd was GPL also, *but*the
> sources are not available. The thing is, the are operating under the
> article that says that an Organization of any kind can make changes
> and use the software as long as its internal use. Well, the IRC
> network spans colleges, universities and ISP's. and the network itself
> is not a formal organization.
>=20
> So the situation is like this: the authority that has made the changes
> makes available *on paper* and *in it's headquarters* the source of
> the ircd; the organizations that actually run the ircd have the right
> to go there and consult the source in that media and in that place
> (and probably without taking notes, copies, etc).
>=20
>=20
> Is this legal? This paragraph of the GPL was mentioned in the
> discussion thread about this:
>=20
> "The source code for a work means the preferred form of the work for
> making modifications to it."
>=20
> Isn't this applyable here to?
>=20
> As you see it's a very strange situation... before contacting the
> copyright holder I would really appreciate any feedback on this one...
>=20
>=20
> Best Regards,
>=20
> fsm
>=20
> --=20
> Frederico S. Mu?oz		GNU	http://www.gnu.org
> fsmunoz arroba debian.org		Debian	http://www.debian.org
> [...]

--=20
Orion Montoya, FSF Office Staff
Free Software Foundation     |  Phone: +1-617-542-5942
59 Temple Place, Suite 330   |  Fax:   +1-617-542-2652
Boston, MA 02111-1307  USA   |  Web:   http://www.gnu.org

----- End forwarded message -----

--mP3DRpeJDSE+ciuQ

--mP3DRpeJDSE+ciuQ--