[ANSOL-geral] Eurolinux exige que os Governos Europeus mudem a direçao do Oficio Europeu dos Patentes

Hugo Nogueira hnogueira arroba april.org
Wed, 7 Nov 2001 14:04:12 +0100

Ver aqui :

  =A0http://petition.EuroLinux.org/pr/pr14.html

O argumentario :

From Jean Paul Smets :

Here are a few messages to  provide in case you receive questions. The main
message is "EU GOVERNMENTS ARE CLEARLY UNABLE TO CONTROL THE EPO". This is an
important message because the current argumentation of our governements is
based on pretending that they will control the EPO in order to eliminate
"bad" software patents.

--

Main message to provide to press

EU GOVERNMENTS ARE CLEARLY UNABLE TO CONTROL THE EPO : how can we trust them
when they say they are going to ask the EPO to improve its examination
procedure. EPO is even unable to respect its promise made less than a year
ago at a diplomatic conference that it would not touch to the software
exception before a directive is published by the European Commission.

Example of extended explanation : governemnts in EU plan to legalise software
patents. They pretend that they will be able to control the EPO in order for
EU not to follow the US software patent disaster. They pretend there will ne
no business methode patents. However, what the EPO did and says just proves
the countrary : the EPO does not obbey to EU governments, the EPO grantes
patents on business methods. Unless governement say NO to the EPO for
software patents, the situation in Europe will just be the same as in the
USA. And, as its is now widely acknowledged by economists, software patents
in the USA are just a tool to let big companies such as Microsoft control the
market, stiffle innovation and eliminate competition. As we can also see in
the US, governements are just unable to control big companies such as
Microsoft from dominating the market and eliminating competition. That's why
we must say no to software patents in order to protect software innovation
and small software companies in Europe.

Other messages : EPO has always abused the Law. If we grant EPO more
flexibility, there will just be more abuses.

Other message : look at the stupid patents from the EPO. It is every more
stupid than in the US. (READ
http://swpat.ffii.org/vreji/pikta/mupli/index.en.html BEFORE IN ORDER TO BE
ABLE TO GIVE EXAMPLES)

Other message : the question about patents is : is it good or not for the
society. Economists say software patents are bad for economy. Lawyers say
software patents always lead to business method patents. 80% software
companies say they do not want software patents. Software patents are just as
bad for the society as they are good for a few big software companies looking
to dominate the market whatever the consequences.